For ECT’s and more experienced staff across the primary age range. This half day course will provide a sound understanding of Social Stories, the theory behind their use and the type of needs and situations they best support. Social Stories are a visually concrete approach to helping children, especially those with Social Communication/ASD needs, understand both situations and peer social behaviour. Ideally written with the child, they support independence and communication skills across the age range but need to be seen alongside a range of other approaches. During this session we will address all of these aspects as well as the practicalities of who, when and how they may be produced. Every attendee will have the opportunity to think about a specific child/need and situation and write their own Social Stories during the session.
- What is the history of Social Stories?
- Why are they an effective approach for children with Social Communication/ASC?
- Which situations/social skills needs do they best support?
- Which situations/needs are less appropriate for Social Stories?
- What are the features of Social Stories?
- We will look at a range of Social Story examples and formats
- How to write Social Stories with children across the age range
- A Social Story writing workshop: we will have a go at producing and sharing a Social Story produced in the session around a situation/need/specific child you are working with in your school
About Paul Cabb:
Paul has over 30 years of experience in education. Beginning his career as a primary school teacher, he was part of SLT’s and ran social/life skills interventions. A passion for SEND saw Paul complete a Master’s degree in education at the Central School of Speech of Drama as well as further post-graduate study into Autism and neurodiversity. Following twelve years as Social Communication Difficulties outreach advisor across primary, secondary, and specialist provisions for Bromley LEA, Paul set up an independent advisory service. His service: Social Eyes, provides individual pupil/student caseload strategy/ intervention advice, CPD training, voluntary services forums and family workshops in Bromley, Lewisham, Croydon, and Greenwich.